Second Class Stations

Sat Nov 15 19:18:30 EST 2014

Jimmy:

It appears to me that the relatively uniform "combination" stations were
also known as "second class" stations, and that "first class" stations
in more urban areas were often of varied designs.

The "combination" freight and passenger stations I believe were of a
standard floor plan design, commonly seen in N&W literature, though of
variable  l//h exterior dimensions.  On my Vinton to Bedford, VA pike,
from photographic comparisons I was able to deduce approximate
station-by-station external dimensions, working from the base drawings
cited as Blue Ridge in Wallace and Wiley's /Norfolk and Western
Handbook/,//W-W Publications, 1980, p. 106 (attention:  contents have
their critics!),  along with the p. 19 diagram in Brewer and Dressler's
/Norfolk and Western Railway Standards Drawings, /N&WHS, 1992.  From the
cited diagrams I concluded that the external Blue Ridge f/b and end wall
dimensions were approximately 70' in length and 24' in width.  With that
base template I could redimension the other combination stations as
seemed reasonable by photographic comparison.

I had to rely upon photographs for external particulars station by
station (loading dock configurations, roofing details and truck loading
buffer locations).  Most importantly, careful note must be taken as to
which end includes the freight room, relative to the protruding
telegrapher's office, station by station.  Not all the same!

For further discussion see my p. 37  station alignment "box" in the
/Arrow, /v. 30 (2014), n. 1.

Frank Gibson