NYC Sleeper on Post 1954 Powhatan Arrow in Steam Era

Mon Oct 13 23:32:32 EDT 2014

Not having the video to view, I won't dispute that the train with the
heavyweight sleeper could be the Powhatan Arrow.  If the car was placed
ahead of the observation car, it is possible it was in charter service for a
special group.  In a late 1950's issue of the N&W employee magazine is a
photo of the the Arrow with a deadheading heavyweight sleeper behind a J and
ahead of the combine.  In videos I own, there are N&W trains with UP, NP,
PRR and ATSF sleepers in the consists of the Cavalier and the Pocahontas.
In the 1950's a lot of charter moves still took place with additional cars
on regular trains, and on dedicated special trains.  After 1948 the
railroads owned the bulk of the sleeping cars and leased them back to
Pullman for operation.  That is why it was common for sleepers to be found
off line.  We forget that there was a time when railroads and the Pullman
Company has the resources to provide seats for as many passengers who needed
transportation, unlike Amtrak today.

As for "off-line"  Pullmans running on N&W rails I have several books on
Pullman with car photos by O. H. Borsum.  He photographed many of these cars
in Roanoke.

N&W did have a backup tavern-lounge car when the round end P4 cars were not
available.  Remember that N&W had three PM class tavern-lounge cars and it
took two to cover the Pocahontas, leaving a spare.  On page 84 of Jim
Nichol's N&W in Color Volume 1 is a photo of the Powhatan Arrow with a PM
car substituting for a P4.

--Rick Morrison

Sent: Monday, October 13, 2014 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: NYC Sleeper on Post 1954 Powhatan Arrow in Steam Era