The Future ?

Thu Oct 2 11:17:35 EDT 2014

My interpretation is that the railroads as a whole will be covered, but that in addition to the history and operations of the railroads, their roles in the economic and cultural development of central appalachia will also be included.  Let's face it, N&W overall didn't have much of an impact on the growth of cities like Columbus or Cincinnati, but there are multiple cities in towns in West Virginia and Virginia that pretty much only exist because of N&W.

So as far as railroad only articles and records, information will continue to be spread across the entire system, but in certain areas, it will be expanded to include the railroad's relationship with the towns and people.  I think this phrasing also allows the Society to expand its network, opening it up not just to railfans but to historians as well.

Of course, we'll have to wait and see what an official source has to say, but that's how I read that statement, and I don't think it is a major cause for concern.  I see it as more of an addition than a subtraction of information.

Marty Flick

  Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2014 9:59 AM
  Subject: The Future ?

  "Our second step in moving the organization forward was to develop plans consistent with implementing the NWHS
  Vision Statement, which is posted at www.nwhs.org and says:

  "Over the next 20 years we intend to implement the steps necessary to establish and maintain the Society and its
  Archives as the recognized, authoritative sources for information about the history and operations of the N&W
  and VGN railways and their respective places in the development of the Central Appalachian region and in the
  development of rail transport in general. As our resources permit, we intend to put in place up-to-date, proven
  research technologies to make our collections available to the wider history and research communities."  "

  Reading the above highlighted segment from the fourth quarter eTAF, is this to say that the rest of the N&W is to be ignored? Is the "Central Appalachain  Region" to be given top priority? What about the Valley, Piedmont (including areas toward Durham and Winston-Salem) and Tidewater areas of Virginia? What about the Ohio districts? I somehow feel that this "Vision Statement" is far too localized and out of line with what we should be doing.

  Jimmy Lisle

-----
No virus found in this message.