Hopper Train north

Tue Sep 30 21:31:39 EDT 2014

Raymond Smoot asked:
> Last Monday I saw a hopper train heading north out of Roanoke on the
> Shenandoah Division. Is this typical?  Where was it going?  Thanks.

Ray,

It has become typical with the last year. Several of the North Carolina
utilites have been sourcing some of their coal from the Pennslyvania
coal fields on the old Monongahela Railway south of Pittsburg.  The loads
are routed west through Ohio to Bucyrus where they come back south/east
on the N&W via Columbus, Portsmouth and the Pocahontas Division.  The
empties often go north from Roanoke to Harrisburg and then west from there.

Joe Shaw
Christiansburg, VA
http://www.krunk.org/