Thu Sep 18 13:04:06 EDT 2014

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty with eight of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway.  I took a photo to Wis showing him
and one of his twin daughters, Ricky at the session last week.  Wis was
surprised but immediately told me that he would now have to invite Vicky to
"take twenty" with us for her photo.  He also admitted that he tells the
ladies appart by looking under their right eye.  Ricky has a small mole
there... We were surprised when a large Sunday School Class held a birthday
celebration at the restaurant nearby, and attending was our good Friend of
the Virginian Railway Ray Forbes and his wife.

For Show and Tell I took my latest VGN discovery, a 7/1/1936 issued Safety
Rule Book.  I pointed out one rule that struck me as funny:  #1026 "It is
prohibited to throw ashes, clinkers, garbage, bottles, refuse, tools, waste
or other material out of windows".  I also took the July/August/September
"The Arrow" magazine of the N&W (and VGN) Historical Society.  On the cover
is the great shot of VGN EL-2b #126 streamliner passing the Palisades at
Eggleston, VA.  This prompted some discussion about what happened to them
and if any other railroads had any like them.  I remembered that the
Milwalwaukee Road had something similar.  Gordon Hamilton said  about the
time the VGN got theirs, Westinghouse made some motor generator electrics
for Russia which were wide gauge (5').  He believes that there was an
embargo at the time for Russian exports so the MR had them changed to
standard gauge and got a good deal.  He also said they were called "Little
Joes" because they were intended to go to Joseph Stalin.

I told the Brethren about today's opening of bids for Phase II of the
Virginian Railway Station project in Roanoke.  If all goes well, this
project will be back "on the main line" very soon!

Last week at our work day at the N&W (and VGN) Historical Society's
Archive, I discovered a file I suspect was left on the VGN desk for me by
our good friend Tom "Saltwater" Salmon.  It is a thick file 071.2 on
"Robberies on the VGN RWY".  I put it into our system, so it is now
available for research.  One interesting entry was from October 30, 1944
from Goodview, VA:  "Referring to telephone conversation of October 21st
with you regarding someone breaking into your Tool House and stealing 20 to
30 gallons of gasoline.  Investigation developed that only one or two
gallons of gasoline, if any, was removed or stolen from this barrel.  In
the future, be absolutely sure that gasoline has been stolen before
reporting to the office".

Correction from last week:  Chip Oaks daughter is Savannah'; Angie is his
wife.

The Jewel from the Past like those in a 25 jeweled Ball Railroad official
"Trainmaster" (for Frank, one word not two like the VGN Train Masters) is
from February 7, 2008:  "Bob Rowland said he had fond memories of his
favorite engine, the big AG Blue Ridge Class 900s.  He recalled engineer
"Hush" (short for Hustlebubble) Mattingly 'with a small transister radio in
one hand held up ot his ear and the throttle in the other as he made his
pull'".

Then there's this:  After the Christening of his baby brother in church,
Jason sobbed all the way home in the back seat of the car.  His father
asked him three times what was wrong.  Finally, the boy replied, "That
preacher said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I want to
stay with you guys".

Time to pull the pin on this one.

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon