office cars 400

Tue Sep 16 16:14:26 EDT 2014

I'm sorry Jerry, but to my eye that right numberboard looks blue; so I think the color of the left one is an optical illusion. Besides, why would they paint the numberboards red when the letterboard obviously had to be repainted at the same time; and it is definitely blue. Everything else in your post is correct. The sale date for the ex Wabash (3rd 400) implies that it never got repainted red before being sold, as the reversion to red didn't come until late in 1971.

Jim Nichols

You have asked some interesting questions and I hope that some on the list can provide you with better info than I can.  From the roster information I received the following is what I have on the #400 cars.

As far as the number #400 goes there were three business cars to
carry this number so a key part discussing which car was #400 depends on
 the date a person would be looking at.

The first #400 was a wood business car that originally was numbered #1 and some time
later was renumbered (date unknown) to #4000 prior to being numbered
#400 in 1941.  This car was retired and scrapped in 1952, apparently replaced by the second #400.

The second #400 which was converted from dining car #1016 in 1952 was renumberedto #104 in 1965 and renumbered again in 1967 to #600.  This car was sold to a private owner in 1973.

Wabash 400 was repainted to become N&W #400 in 1965 and was retired and sold to the Ontario Northland in 1971.

In regards to your question about the ex-Wabash #400 being painted in tuscan red, this shot of the car, prior to being named THE EXPORTER will definitely muddy the waters a little, because of the tuscan red number boards on this undated shot of the car...
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3492896

--

jerry
<jmlaboda at gmail.com>

HAVING AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE...

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY MAN!!!

Passenger Car Photo Index -- UPDATED 11/11/13 WITH OVER 8244 NEW LINKS ADDED!!!
<http://passcarphotos.info/>

N-scale Varnish Passenger Car User's Guide
<http://n-scalevarnish.info/index/varnish/UsersGuide/>

Southern Railway Historical & Modeling Resources - FINALLY updated 2 JANUARY 2012!!!
<http://southernmodeler.info/>

Appreciate Freedom???  Thank a Veteran!!!