Tie spacing

Thu Jul 31 13:57:04 EDT 2014

The standard tie spacing on centers was 19-1/2" for main, heavy branch,
switching, and engine running tracks; 21-1/2" for light branch,
switching, and engine running tracks, and heavy passing sidings and yard
tracks; 23-3/4" for light passing sidings and yard tracks, and heavy
industrial, shop, and storage tracks; 26-3/4" for light industrial,
shop, and storage tracks; and 30-1/2" for station sidings, unimportant
spurs, etc. (L-168, 1946)

Standard ties measured 9"W x 7"H x 8-1/2'L (L apparently minimum, not
nominal).

Switch ties measured 9"W x 7"H and were cut in 6" intervals from 9' to
16'L . Headblock ties varied from about 11-1/2' to 14-1/2'L, depending
on the machine.

Bridge ties measured 10" x 10" x 10'L (or longer where needed) on 15"
centers. (L-50, 1943)

Grant Carpenter
---