Big Stoney RR - Waitesville Incline

Sun Jul 27 18:17:41 EDT 2014

Bruce,

I want to thank you for the references on the history of the N&W's Paint
Bank branch and predecessor companies.  The article in the West Virginia
History Journal was so long, however, that I had to put it aside until
today, when I had some free time to peruse it.  It was most interesting!

I  long have had a question about the Tri State Lumber Co. operations in
Johns Creek Valley served by the narrow gauge incline railway over Potts
Mountain to Ray's Siding in Potts Creek Valley.  That is, how were the Shay
locomotive(s), c. 4 miles of narrow gauge track, log cars, and a saw mill
transported into the isolated Johns Creek Valley?

All historical accounts seem to dodge this matter, but maybe that is because
there are no surviving records.

Do you, or anyone else, have any info on this?

Gordon Hamilton