"Takin' Twenty" with the Virginian Railway Brethren by Skip Salmon

Thu Jun 26 08:07:07 EDT 2014

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with seventeen of the
Brethren and Friends of the Virginian Railway.  This turnout reminded the
Brethren of when we first started "Takin' Twenty" in 2004, when sometimes
over twenty would show up.  We signed a happy Birthday card for Ernie
Hubble, son of Red Hubble, VGN Roundhouse Foreman and nephew of two other
VGN Supervisors.  Ernie is 72 today.

 We had ten visit us from out of town last night who are in Roanoke for the
N&W (and VGN) Historical Society 2014 Convention.  They are:  Michael
Shockley (originally from Rocky Mount, VA) from Peoria, IL; Steve and his
Dad Ed Summers from New Albany, IN; Frank Bongiovanni from North Olmstead,
OH; Paul Weber from Lakewood, OH; Tom (Saltwater) and Judy Salmon from Fort
Pierce, FL; David Lugar from Mount Pleasant, NC; Lee Weiss from Coral
Spring, FL; and Jeff Guzowski from Dania Beach, FL.  I have posted a photo
form last night on this site under "Skip's Photos".  Mike Shockley brought
several of his models to show.  The centerpiece is an outstanding replica
of our very own Walnut Avenue (JK) Tower in HO scale.  The Brethren were
impressed with his detail.  He also amused the group by showing us his coal
hopper, a small frog made of coal. Ed Summers told the Brethren of his
experience in the US Navy during WWII working in the engine room on his
steam powered ship.  Frank and Steve amused us displaying a piece of
Winding Gulf script.  We had a  drawing and Saltwater Salmon won a free
supper.  The Brethren were almost overwhelmed by  this group of supporting
fans and Virginian Railway enthusiasts.  The session lasted almost three
hours.  Good times were had by all!

 For Show and Tell I took my latest South Yard photo of the VGN Heritage
unit #1069 and the pantograph wire from Kumis, VA mentioned last week.  The
group discovered the "bottom" of the wire was flat from use and the patena
there was different from the rest where the lubed pantograph rubbed.
 Several commented on how heavy the almost three foot section is.

 Tom Myers from Beaufort, NC was the only one who submitted the correct
answer to last week's Andy Taylor question.  Opie had Aunt Bea pack five
pairs of socks for his over night camp out with the boy scouts.  Tom's pin
is on its way to him.  For this week's pin "what item did Johnny Paul Jason
tell Opie would be good for his teeth, if he chewed it?"  Send your answer
with your name and home address to gkholine at cox.net.

 The Jewel from the Past is from December 13, 2007:  "A lot of talk of the
night centered around Landon Gregory's 'show and tell' item, a stylus and
tape from an old hot box detector.  he explained how he had to read the
tape and when a train crossed the section of tracks by the detector, a bell
would ring in the office, to tell the operator to check the tapes for 'hot
boxes'.  Some called the machine' Sputnik" because it was new and
intriguing.  The 'normal' readings for the newer roller bearing equipped
cars were about three times that of 'normal' sleeve bearing readings.  So,
an operator had to be very careful when identifying the overheated ones.
 He said an actual hot journal on a roller bearing car would sometimes
cause the 'needle to run off the paper'".

 Then there's this:  After being stopped by a young State Trooper, an 83
year old women was asked "Mam, do you know you were speeding?"  She looked
at the young officer, as only a grandmother can, with an ear-to-ear smile
and said, "Yes, but...I had to get there before I forgot where I was going'"

 Time to pull the pin on this one!

 Departing Now from V248,

 Skip Salmon

 DXXII