AM&O 1874 Listing in Official Guide

Tue Jun 17 16:11:12 EDT 2014

I am attaching a PDF showing the entry covering Gen. Billy Mahone's AM&O RR
in the September 1874 Official Guide... the oldest O.G. I have ever seen.

The "mileages" are interesting.  Realizing, of course, that they in no way
represent real Mile Post numbers, and are "rounded" numbers, one still
wonders what point in Norfolk served as "engineering station" 0+00, i.e.
the point from which distances were calculated.  Many railroads used "end
of passenger platform" at the beginning depot as "engineering station"
0+00, and for stations out along the road were nomenclatured by the mileage
at the "center-line of station"  .  Wonder what the AM&O's scheme of
reference was?

-- abram burnett