Class J Mechanical Engineer Names

Thu Apr 10 17:15:31 EDT 2014

Ms Yates

I'd strongly suggest you look up Ed's book on the Class A, Bud Jefferies
book on Norfolk and Westen Steam and my book on the Class J for more about
the design process, each book has discussion on that, in addition to other
books on the Norfolk and Western. Generally pictures of the folks were not
published very often, but if I recall correctly, there is a photo with
Frank Noel (who was an N&W employee, BTW) in it on the original exhibition
runs of the 600.

Most photos would have been published in the N&W Magazine, in the form of
promotions. There was an article published in January or February
1951regarding the expansion of the Motive Power building in Roanoke (where
the locomotives were designed) that includes some of the folks, one in
particular of the drafting department as below.

Unfortunately I don't have my notes with me, with the names, but the date
of the photo was December 8, 1950.

Best
Ken Miller

Moderator: