N&W S, S1 or S1a

Wed Apr 9 14:02:54 EDT 2014

Mike,

The N&W Class S1 switchers were purchased second hand by N&W from C&O; the N&W modified those tenders for additional water capacity; those tenders were of riveted construction.

The N&W Class S1a switchers were Roanoke's copy of the S1 design, with N&W improvements and practices incorporated; the tenders on this class were of welded construction.

I believe the LifeLike model has a riveted tender.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

Sent: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 1:16:17 PM
Subject: N&W S, S1 or S1a

I noticed that the S 0-8-0 locos had long or short tenders.  Is there rhyme or reason for it...S1 had long and S1a were short for example.
I am heavily kitbashing a LifeLike 0-8-0 so would like to know which number to make it as it has the shorter tender...
Already has sound so not inclined to lengthen it...not that heavily kitbashed!

Thanks,
Mike Shockley

PS Hope to bring it to Roanoke for the convention.