Berryville depot construction - 1910

Fri Feb 21 19:20:35 EST 2014

Thank you, Bruce, for mentioning the on-line newspapers on the Library of Virginia website.  I found several articles about the Berryville depot construction during 1910.  Now, if I could find similar items about the opening of Boyce in 1913 or its closure on or around January 1, 1959, I'd be very pleased.

The Clarke Courier Berryville, Clarke County, Virginia. Wednesday, January 5, 1910. No 44.

New Depot Assured

The Courier has received the positive assurance from a high official of the Norfolk & Western Railway Company that the promised new depot for Berryville will be constructed this year.

In conversation with the Courier man, this official said:

"The new depot for Berryville has been passed by the Board, and is now the next station on the list to be erected. As soon as the weather opens in the Spring, work will be commenced, and the structure completed as rapidly as possible."

The new station at Berryville will be constructed along the same line as the company's stations at Luray and Shepherdstown, but will be an improvement upon each of them, the plans having been modified to suit the demands at this point at the urgent request of Mr. W. A. Macomb, the efficient and popular agent here.

The new station will be constructed on the McCormick land lying south of the turnpike, on a beautiful knoll, which will give a superb outlook from all directions and furnish perfect drainage.

It will be equipped with steam heat and electric lights, and all the latest conveniences devised by experts for the care and comfort of passengers, baggage, express and freight. As soon as active work is started the new station it is more than likely that a new street will be cut through the McCormick land from the station to the Millwood road and residences will be offered for sale.

In connection with the new station, the Courier desires to express its highest commendation for the efforts of Mr. W. A. Macomb to secure for our town the best and most modern structure obtainable. At great personal inconvenience he as time and again gone to Roanoke and other points to place is arguments before the officials of the road, to suggest modifications of the plan in order that Berryville might have exactly what was wanted and needed, and to place facts and figures before the officials which would convince them of the soundness of his views.

The new station will be a monument to his untiring energy and ability, and local people would do well to show their appreciation in some substantial manner.

A new street, from Main street across the end of the Marks property, fifty feet in width, will be opened and graded, and access to the new station from that direction will be rapid and easy.

>From the preliminary estimate it is expected that the station proper and the improvements to the grounds around it, will cost more than $20,000, and, with its commanding location, it will be one of the most attractive stations on the entire system.

Source: Clarke Courier, January 5, 1910, p. 1

Depot Work Progressing Well.

Work on the excavations for foundations and cellar for the new Norfolk & Western Depot is progressing rapidly, and this work is expected to be completed this week. Work on foundation will then be started, and there will be no let-up in the work until the completed building is turned over to the Railway Company. The trench for the water pipeline from the Main street line to the depot has been opened, and the pipe is being laid this week.

Source: Clarke Courier, May 11, 1910, p. 1

Depot Brick Work Completed.

Brick work on the handsome new Norfolk & Western station will be completed today, and the roofing, interior woodwork, train shed, etc., are now being prepared for erection. The brick are a light gray, almost white, color, and with the slate roof and dark trimmings, will make a handsome addition to the Town.

Source: Clarke Courier, June 15, 1910, p. 1

Depot Soon to be Ready. The finishing touches are being put on the new depot and the grounds surrounding it. Brick for the paving around the depot, which was delayed for some time, arrive Saturday and the pavement is well under way. The long stretch of concrete pavement leading to the depot is completed, and the slag and crushed stone on the roadway is nearly all spread, and make a most attractive approach to the depot.

Station Agent Macomb expects to move in next Sunday if everything goes well.

Source: Clarke Courier, August 10, 1910, p. 1

Best wishes,

Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com