Blue SD35

Mon Feb 17 21:35:03 EST 2014

The order of 80 SD-35's built in 1965 was received with all units painted black with yellow/gold1/2 moon heralds with Norfolk and Western written on the long hood. The number boards were black with white lettering. I have individual pictures of over 70 of the units in my slide collection. I found none painted blue. Most when repainted were black with the white NW. I found one repainted in black with the short lived short lived N&W in yellow/gold on the long hood with 1/2 moon heralds and numbers on the cab below the window. Likewise I never remembered seeing one in blue so I strongly believe none were ever repainted in blue. Then the black NW scheme was adopted in 1971 the units were only 6 years old.

Regards,
Ed Painter