1986 Dismal Swamp Accident Footage

Sat Feb 1 23:47:24 EST 2014

Thanks for posting this, Jeff. I had the (obviously very mistaken) impression that there were only one or two cars on the ground - and by that I mean wheels, not the entire car. It's now much more obvious why NS has chosen to tread much more conservatively with the current steam program.

General question ; how was it that the locomotive and first couple of cars made it through the kink? Could their passage have worsened the kink or the track system in some way? Did 611 suffer any damage from negotiating the kink? Did she leave under her own power after inspection or was she towed?

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile

Not trying to bring up a grim topic, however, I have never seen footage on this accident until now;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7oFsP6ODmw

Jeff Lisowski
--
"Sic Semper Tyrannis!"