Number Boards

Wed Jan 29 15:50:20 EST 2014

On 1/29/2014 11:48 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> If you look at early photos of GP9/GP18s you'll notice they are

> generally not centered side to side in the boards, since the boxes

> held four spaces, but those units were three digit numbers, they

> normally were offset to the right.

Ken,
I hadn't paid attention to that before. Learn something new
everyday. I looked at the photos of GP9's in the Archives. It appears
that looking at the unit, the left side is offset to the left and the
right side is offset to the right. If one was to use the GP9 photos
only, as a time line, it could almost be said that the white numbers
(offset)/black background lasted through the "Hamburger" era, changing
to Black numbers (centered)/white background with the NW era. However,
that line of thinking doesn't hold true looking at other classes of units.

Jimmy Lisle