Class J's at Hagerstown

Sun Jan 5 17:21:49 EST 2014

Not very long ago, I commented on a thread regarding a train record from Shenandoah found by Mason Cooper, which had a record of an extra run by 606. My speculation is that for some reason, the power on the northbound #2 wasn't available, and 606 was called in to fill in on the run. The extra run may be her ferry run southbound. There appears to be no further details on the train sheet. (Mason, please feel free to comment on this.) I have never heard of any other J running on the Shenandoah Division, except for an excursion run made by 611 from Roanoke to Glasgow in 1994. For the record, 1218 had also made this same run in excursion service, but A's did run on this division as well, though rarely. I hope that more train sheets turn up so the appearance of these two classes on the division can be more closely documented.
Lois J.Ponton
N&W steam historian

Sent from my Galaxy S®III