Arthur

Sat Jan 4 18:51:28 EST 2014

Al

I suspect the reason was most raids had to be done quickly to avoid Confederate forces catching up with the Union troops. Tearing up track, burning supplies and depots could be done in fairly short order. Bridges can be set on fire, tunnels, not so much usually.

Damaging a tunnel would likely take far more effort and time, not to mention explosives as you said. That powder would be far better used for cannon fire. Without a true demolition engineer, the work would likely be chancy at best of destroying a tunnel.

Ken Miller