Gas-powered locos

Sat Dec 21 22:59:48 EST 2013

Dominic:

I promise I'm not picking a fight, but you lifted portions of the Wikipedia
UP citation, but not the portions that describe how the engineering
problems were mitigated.

In the end, rising cost of fuel and ever-improving diesel-electric
technology, added to the age of the GTEL units, meant their time was over. And,
as you imply, operating conditions on BR were certainly far from optimum for
GT applications, whereas UP came a lot closer. As an example, to get
around the high specific fuel consumption at idle, the later GTELs on UP would
shut down the turbine on the long downgrades, and use the six-cylinder
Cooper Bessemer auxiliary diesel with its accompanying generator to provide
excitation to the traction motors, running as generators for dynamic braking.

In any case, you're right, LNG/CNG is a better fuel, so the Russian
experiments might not have those issues. The economics of the fuel will be
different in different places; in North America, we're about to the point that
natural gas (in whatever form) is cheaper than other fuels.

Good dialog. Thanks for pointing out these considerations.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 12/21/2013 6:48:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,