Gas-powered locos

Sat Dec 21 09:08:33 EST 2013

Thanks Dave

I implied oil burning (of the earlier experiments/experiences) but perhaps that should have been more explicit.

Problems with fuels were encountered in the UK e.g.

Ash from the heavy fuel oil damaged the turbine blades, and the
combustion chamber liner required frequent replacement due to damage.

And efficiency was a problem.

When reliable operation could be achieved, it did show itself capable of meeting expectations. Unfortunately, however, it was neither possible
to achieve an acceptable level of reliability nor to operate it under
conditions which would allow reasonable fuel economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_18000

UP encountered similar problems:

Fuel economy was poor, the turbine consumed roughly twice as much fuel as an equally powerful diesel engine.

Soot buildup and blade erosion caused by corrosive ash plagued all of the turbines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_GTELs

I suspect that it was therefore the more unforgiving nature of gas turbines as to fuel that was the problem as well as the other problems encountered e.g. with control equipment etc.

LNG/CNG are a much purer form of fuel ....... and would appear to be in plentiful supply (tho' perhaps more because of fracking - something of a political problem in the UK).

Dominic
London

I walked 12 miles for the Pirate Castle for the 4th time on June 22nd - please help bysponsoring me

>Sent: Saturday, 21 December 2013, 2:24

>Subject: Re: Gas-powered locos

>Dominic:

>The gas-turbine locomotives you mention in passing did not burn LNG or CNG;

"gas-turbine" referred to the prime mover.  The  Russian experiment
would appear to be the same kind of prime mover, but burning LNG/CNG.  The
American gas-turbine locomotives, all of which ran on the Union Pacific
Railroad, burned heavy oil.  They were technically successful, and until
the price of the residual crude oil they burned began to rise to approach the
cost of diesel oil, they were economic successes as well.  Because UP
operations required long periods of full-throttle operation, they did not fall
prey to the typical shortcoming of a gas turbine, high specific fuel consumption
at low throttle settings.

>I'm not a mechanical engineer and won't pretend to be an expert on the

subject, but I've always understood that a gas-turbine was much more forgiving
on what kind of fuel it was fed (injector nozzles obviously optimized for the
fuel) than a diesel, which is why we haven't seen many successful LNG/CNG locos
so far.