Gas-powered locos

Fri Dec 20 16:08:55 EST 2013

Making my way through the Christmas edition of Railway Magazine there are 2 reports on gas-powered locos.

In Russia a new compressed natural gas powered loco has been completed by Transmashholding (Alstom is a part owner) in Bryansk to be operated by RZD Russian Railways. It will be tested at the Russian Institute of Research, Design and Technological Studies in Railway Rolling Stock. RZD has previously ordered up to 40 new twin-unit gas-turbine electric locos powered by liquefied natural gas.

The second report is that CSX has announced that it will experiment with LNG-powered locos in partnership with GE Transportation and plans to retro-fit natural gas kits to GE 'Evolution' locos next year. BNSF is also trying out LNG-powered locos - two SD70ACe locos have been modified by EMD to operate with a special LNG tender that keeps the gas below minus 160C.

There were examples of early gas-turbine locomotives in the UK and the U.S., and other countries, but most seemed to have not prospered, and certainly not after the 1973 oil crisis. RZD has tried out an LNG switcher in recent years as well as a freight locomotive.

I gathered also that in the States Bombardier developed a prototype loco in the late '90s/early '00s for the FRA. Some testing was done but it has not as far as can be seen entered service.

I wondered if Norfolk Southern has shown signs of any interest in these alternatives.

Dominic
London

I walked 12 miles for the Pirate Castle for the 4th time on June 22nd - please help bysponsoring me