Takin' Twenty with the Virginian Brethren by Skip Salmon

Thu Dec 19 07:15:09 EST 2013

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with eight of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. This was our annual Christmas
session and we were blessed to have Mike and Fran from Peoria, IL visiting
with us. They were on their way back home from a Christmas visit to Mike's
relatives in Rocky Mount, VA. Mike is an HO modeler and is working on an
N&W layout with steam locomotives, and had a question for the Brethren. He
asked if anyone remembered what the sign looked like that jewelers posted
in their shop window, who set and repaired railroad approved pocket
watches. None of the Brethren could recall. Does anyone out there know or
have a photo of such a sign?

Landon Gregory brought a small leather pouch filled with Railroad approved
pocket watches and he and Gordon Hamilton had quite a discussion about the
Hamilton and Elgin beauties. Such terms as Crescent Street movement, up
and down, over and under, Keystone case, Montgomery dial, North Shore were
bantered about. I have posted a photo of Landon, complete with white
glove, performing some sort of ritual on one of these watches on this site
under "Skip's Photos".

I showed the Brethren the Holiday 2013 issue of "Model Railroader" magazine
with our good friend Gerry Albers' spread showing his spectacular Virginian
Railway Deepwater District in HO scale. In the article he referred to the
"Brethren family" as "an indication of how close they remain to each other
and their former employer" and how he has "tapped" this Takin' Twenty
reports for information to build his layout. Thanks Gerry for the plug;
the Brethren were impressed!

The Jewell from the Past is from September 27, 2013: "Cornbread told a
story about the luxury of being able to communicate with train crews by
radio. He once remembered calling the dispatcher and asking him to relay
to an incoming coal train to slow down a little, so he could have the yard
clear when it got to AG. When the yard was clear, he called the dispatcher
back and told him to let the train come on in. The dispatcher responded,
'never mind, he wrecked' ".

Also visiting us last night from the North Pole was Santa, who brought a
bag of goodies for each of the Brethren. I have posted a photo of him on
this site under "Skip's Photos".

Remember the Brethren will not meet the next two weeks, so there will not
be another "Takin Twenty" report until January 9, 2014.

Then there's this called "A Christmas Love Story": A couple were Christmas
shopping. The shopping center was packed. As the wife walked through one
of the malls, she was surprised when she looked around to find her husband
was no where to be seen. She was quite upset because they had a lot to
do. She became so worried that she called him on her cell phone to ask him
where he was. In a quiet voice he said, "Do you remember the jewelers we
went into about five years ago where you fell in love with that diamond
necklace that we couldn't afford, and I told you I would get it for you one
day?" The wife choked up and started to cry and said, "Yes, I do remember
that shop." He replied, "Well, I'm in the bar next door."

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248, Wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Skip Salmon

DII