Motors

Tue Dec 10 18:45:21 EST 2013

My 2 cents.....and I've listened to railroad personnel a lot on scanners and radios over the years. I first noticed folks in and around Bluefield at least 20 years ago referring to diesel locomotives as motors and believed as others previously stated that it was a latent term going back to the days of electrification on the N&W and Virginian. Oddly enough over recent years I've herd the term used on other parts of NS including former Southern territories but until this discussion began it hadn't really registered to me. During my just completed round trip driving and railfannng to Arizona I can remember both UP and BNSF personnel using the term on multiple occasions. On the other side when living in Ohio in the 70's and regularly being in and around PC, EL, B&O, and N&W operations and personnel I can't remember one instance of the term being used....... ??

Ed Painter