Steam engines being restored

Sat Dec 7 08:34:10 EST 2013

As I read about the various steam engines being restored, or planning to be, one thing I noticed is that all the possible candidates had one thing in common. NONE had a Worthington BL style feed water heater. Are they really that difficult to restore? I know that towards the end of steam on the N&W, the Y3's being used in yard service had them removed due to parts and maintenance issues. Is that one of the main reasons that 2156 isn't being considered? T&P has 610 with an Elesco, Most have Worthington SA style FWH, but I haven't seen ONE BL style on a restored loco.

Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930's