Branch signaling continued

Wed Nov 13 07:28:53 EST 2013

> Yes and it needs the capability to display the following aspects:

> CLEAR

> APPROACH DIVERGING

> APPROACH

> STOP/RESTRICTING

You have this wrong if you have a train on the mainline approaching a turnout with the expectation of taking the diverging route (siding, turnout, etc).

In a PERFECT world, it would work like this, at least on NS.

Clear
Advance Approach
Approach Diverging
Diverging Clear or Diverging Approach or Restricting

Although, sometimes depending on the location and signal setup, it's quite possible they would skip the advance approach and go straight from clear to approach diverging.

The way you wrote it is wrong, because when the train gets an approach diverging, the expectation is that the train would take a diverging route at the NEXT signal. If a train gets an approach diverging, then an approach, the lineup was changed.

Troy Nolen
Tampa, FL