Shenandoah Division Steam Locomotives

Thu Oct 24 20:03:24 EDT 2013

Speaking of engines assigned to the Shenandoah Division because of Cab Signals + Train Control, has anyone ever seen a good engineering description of how the system operated? I have heard that it was "inductive," but not "continuous" and that there was no "train control" (i.e. "train stop") feature built into it. And I got conflicting stories when I talked to enginemen who had been running when the system was in place. Further to complicate things, the systems north and south of Shenandoah were apparently different in some way which I have never figured out.

Union Switch & Signal surely issued one of their standard "instruction pamphlets" for the installation, and Railway Signal Engineer surely covered the installation with an article. Does anyone have those?

-- abram burnett

Sent to you from my Telegraph Key...