Roanoke Junction

Tue Oct 8 21:47:15 EDT 2013

Ron,

If you will permit me to make a couple of observations;

1 - The derail near VMT isn't new. It has been there for many years. It appears that they have burrowed a hole for the signal line conduit starting to the right of the derail and going under the track and surfacing again in your 2nd photo (the orange conduit to the right).

2 - Maybe of interest to some, the hand throw crossover in the center of the photo showing the derail, is called the "Nelson Crossover". You will notice a dwarf signal about halfway through the crossover. That is not a controlled signal, but when both ends of the crossover are lined for movement through the crossover, it displays a "restricting" aspect. I believe that the crossover was named for R. A. Nelson, one time Superintendent of Roanoke Terminals (1950s), who may well have been the man who had it installed. When I was working, occasionally, if business was light, a yardmaster would send a crew down to Park Street and tell them to run their engine through the crossover several times to knock the rust off the rails. It is not used very often, but can be a life-saver, if needed.

Thanks for keeping up with the work down there!

Jeff Sanders

________________________________
Sent: Monday, October 7, 2013 10:06 PM
Subject: Roanoke Junction

More pictures from Roanoke Junction.

New signal being installed below 5th Street Bridge

http://nwhs.org/wiki/show_image.php?id=568

Wiring ducts for new house case.

http://nwhs.org/wiki/show_image.php?id=569

New derail installed next to VMT