"M1" for Posm ?

Sat Oct 5 23:18:20 EDT 2013

Today I was at Dr. Frank Scheer's "DK" Telegraph Office in the old depot at Boyce, Va, and studying some of the books in his collection.

One item was the May 1, 1931 "Official List of Stations, Officers, Agents &c." This publication lists an office call for Posm on the Lynchburg Bent Line and the call is "M1." (That's the capital letter M plus the numeral "1" ["one.] )

It's not unheardof for a numeral to be used in a telegraph call, but this is the first numeral I've ever seen used by the N&W in a telegraph call.

Does anyone have other Official Lists from the 1920s-1930s, which may substantiate that "M1" is a correct entry and not a misprint? If so, while you checking, see if there are any other telegraph calls listed for the Lynchburg Belt Line.

-- abram burnett

<< PS - No, "Posm" ain't no typographical error on my part! That's the way the railroad spelt the word. :-) >>