Towers and Passenger Trains

Tue Sep 24 10:18:36 EDT 2013

Mr. Bundy:

Did N&W towers "block with" adjacent open Train Order Offices, reporting times to them, after the advent of Automatic Block Signaling? During my daze on the N&W I wasn't very cosmopolitan and didn't pick up on it, if they did. From my recollections, I only heard open offices report trains to the DS. But boy, you better not try stuff like that in heavily trafficked 4-track Rule 251 territory !
Abe:
I can't say with certainty that the open offices "blocked" trains before automatic block signals. A bit
of clarity from a previous post -- After the elimination of train order offices on the PD District of the
Pocahontas Division, the dispatcher recorded passing times at certain points (Iaeger was one of
them). Entries from the 1984 trains sheets show arrivals and departures rounded up to the nearest
five minutes, i.e. No. 86 arr'd Iaeger at 3:50 PM and departed at 3:55 PM. This, too, kinda makes
one wonder about the accuracy.

Incidentally, in the 45 miles between the distant signal for the diamonds at Suffolk and the east
end of traffic control at Disputanta, the Crewe Dispatcher relied on the "dummy" operator east of
Zuni for OS's . In the 60's, this was one of those trackside defect detectors that made a racket
as the train passed. The "dummy" operator never transmitted "O Ss, so there weren't any
penalty time claims. Harry Bundy