Shenandoah Division excursions; 1954 and 1956

Wed Sep 18 21:31:38 EDT 2013

According to the N&W Magazine of November 1954, page 598 the trip was on September 5, 1954. It was a 19 car train leaving Washington DC at 7:15 am carrying 914 people. The train proceeded south on the Southern the west to Riverton Junction. About 100 folks left the train at Luray to tour local sights (probably the Caverns) ad about 400 folks toured the N&W Shops at Shenandoah. Lunch was served at the Railroad YMCA. Other riders rode chartered buses to Penn Laird and rode on the Shenandoah Central. Motive power for the trip on the N&W was K1 No. 114 and K2a No. 130. The article did not specify if the N&W power was on the train the entire trip or not.

The article further stated that the first such trip for Washington Chapter was done in October 1952 over much the same route. From the November 1952 Magazine, the train left DC at 8:15 am with 11 cars and 719 riders. This time they ran via the B&O to Shenandoah Junction, then south where K2 No. 128 handled the train to Shenandoah and back.

Both articles featured photos, mostly of people, some looking over the locomotives at Shenandoah.

Ken Miller