N&W excursions of the 1950s

Tue Sep 17 22:38:10 EDT 2013

Mr.Newton wrote:

"The November 1956 issue of the N&W Magazine covers an excursion
operated in
connection with the B&O between Washington and Shenandoah, via Charles
Town
southbound and via Shenandoah Junction northbound. The article
includes a
picture of the train at Front Royal, handled by K-1 114.

In connection with the 1957 NRHS Convention, on September 1 Class A 1239
handled an excursion train from Roanoke to Bluefield. From there K-1
114
handled the train to Pocahontas, thence via the Bluestone Branch to
Matoaka,
W. Va., where it was turned over to the Virginian for the trip back to
Roanoke. The train consisted of 15 carts, including three open
gondolas."

I included film of the Nov, 1956 trip described above in Pocahontas
Glory Vol. 3.
That 16mm film was shot by Harry Dodge and Bob Flack.

Mr. Newton, is it possible that the 1957 NRHS train was pulled by Y6b
2190 instead of A class 1239 from Roanoke to Bluefield?
I have film showing what looks to be the same consist you described
being turned over to a K1 and later from the k1 to a VGN electric.

There was an excursion on July 2, 1959 from Roanoke to Bluefield
behind A no. 1240 and from Bluefield to Iaeger and return to Bluefield
with Y6b 2174 before returning to Roanoke behind the 1240. I rode that
train. I believe it was first advertised to have 611 for power but due
to ticket demand, extra cars were added and the 1240 was substituted
for the 611.

-Jim Herron