N&W PL to CPL conversions (was Please Put In the Interlocking Images)

Sun Sep 15 09:24:32 EDT 2013

Yes, Lynn, that's correct. Here's how the N&W modified their position
light signals to be color position signals: (first off, don't even
reference B&O CPL signals, it only confuses the issue.)

The top head had the center pivot light removed and capped off, and
all corresponding wiring removed as well.
The horizontal lenses were replaced with red lenses.
The vertical lenses were replaced with green lenses.

The bottom head:
If it is a control point, the center pivot light yellow lens was
replaced with a red lens, and that same red center light was
reconfigured to go out when any aspect other than Stop was to be
displayed. All the rest of the lower aspects remained yellow.
If it was an automatic signal, the center light was removed and capped
off, and all corresponding wiring removed, and all remaining lights
remained yellow.

Does this help?

Ben Blevins
Lead Signalman