1950's N&W Steam excursions

Tue Sep 10 11:53:31 EDT 2013

On 9/10/2013 7:08 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> As I understand it, steam locomotive wheel arrangements were given

> generic names; just as 2-8-2's were Mikados, but referred to as

> "Mikes," I believe the 4-8-0 wheel arrangement was named Mastodon and

> referred to as "Mollies." I have heard this term applied to this

> wheel arrangement many times but railfans, authors, etc.

> There is no doubt however, that on the N&W, they were simply referred

> to as M's.

My grandfather, Joseph 'Jack' Wade, worked in the Roanoke Shops from
1925-1958. His last job was setting and sealing lubricators. He
always referred to the locos by their road number series and never used
the alpha class or generic names except in one case... all the Ys were
'Mallies.'

Take care
Bill

--
== Scale Model Railroad Products ==
== Manufacturer - Retailer - Importer ==

Bill and Diane Wade

B.T.S.
RR 1 Box 141A
Belington, WV 26250

Phone: 304-823-3729
FAX: 304-823-2901
http://www.btsrr.com

We wish you Fair Winds and Following Seas.