Diverging clear, was: Signals at interlockings

Mon Aug 12 12:21:12 EDT 2013

This has consistently been one of my biggest beefs with the signals on
the V line. It is not possible to get a diverging clear aspect entering
a siding, even if the dispatcher already has the route lined out of the
siding at the other end. I guess it's logic like what I've quoted below
which explains why. However, there is more to signal indication than
just speed. Try bringing a 14,000 ton train into a curvy siding
overgrown by foliage to the extent that the next signal is visible from
only a couple thousand feet away, at best. It's one thing to run 25
mph. It's another thing entirely to be prepared to stop. That
"unneeded" diverging clear signal back there would have been a huge help
to the engineer!

Ken Rickman

--
Kenneth Rickman