line poles

Tue Aug 6 18:33:59 EDT 2013

The bracket for the lightening arrestor or static wire allowed the high
voltage 3-phase just below to balance on the top of the pole and either end
of the top crossarm and still provide electrostatic "shade" for all of the
conductors from lightening. An efficient trick I have never seen used
elsewhere that gave the N&W pole lines a distinctive look.

Grant Carpenter

> Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:07:31 -0400

> Subject: RE: line poles

> The top , bent angle iron carried the lightning arrestor wire. There is a

> lead stapled down the pole to 'earth' the wire. The next three brown

> insulators were the AC power supply (600VAC?/ 4400VAC?). Signal, code

line,

> telegraph, telephone were carried on the lower cross arms. The two white

> insulators were for the telephone line to the dispatcher in the older

days.

> Train crews could carry a telephone that could be clipped to these.

> Gary Rolih

> Cincinnati

> Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:43 AM

> Subject: line poles

> Made it to SW VA this past weekend and coming out of Norton found piles of

> removed line poles (with for sale sign by the piece or load if anybody's

> interested) [see first picture]. Further North, the poles are still up

(see

> second picture). Does anyone know what the lines attached at the various

> positions of the pole carried. Why was that Z bent angle added to the

top?