Signals: What I don't know . . .

Tue Aug 6 15:25:50 EDT 2013

On the Roanoke District we had three sidings, Sampson, Lynnwood &
Elkton, that had spring switches, on the south end, that had to be
manually thrown in order to enter the siding. This is in CTC territory.
If the dispatcher wanted to a northbound train to enter the siding, he
set up his code. Out in the field, we would get and approach signal,
then a stop signal at the siding switch and there was also a lunar
light. If it was flashing "Take Siding", you had permission to line the
switch into the siding.When the switch was lined for the siding the
signal would turn to "Diverging Approach". If the lunar light was not
flashing, you had to call the dispatcher on the phone and he would
instruct you as to which way to go.
Going south in the sidings at Elkton and Stuart's Draft, there was
a switch to take you straight into storage or spur tracks. The signals
at the south end of these sidings would indicate Stop. The switches had
electric locks on them and you had to talk to the dispatcher to get him
to unlock the switch. When the switch was lined for the spur, the signal
would turn to Restricting and you could pass the signal. Stuart's Draft
is still like that today. Sampson & Lynnwood now have power switches and
of course Elkton has been taken up.

Jimmy Lisle