Signal safari part 3

Tue Aug 6 12:31:16 EDT 2013

The center light in the lower head was known as the “marker” light and was illuminated when the top head of a controlled signal had horizontal lights lit. The presence of the marker light meant that the signal was a “stop and stay” signal. If there was no marker light, the horizontal lights on the top head would indicate “stop and proceed at restricted speed”. To further indicate the “stop and stay” there was a black metal plate bearing the white letter “S” under the signal number. This was the “fail safe” in case the marker light was burned out. In my travels in engine cabs on the old N&W, I never knew of a non-controlled signal that displayed a “stop and stay” indication.

This was the opposite from the Pennsylvania Railroad’s signal rules where the horizontal lights with no marker was the “stop and stay”. On the PRR, if it had a marker, it indicated “stop and proceed . . .” If you were stopped at an interlocking signal on the PRR (like on the Sandusky Line), if the operator wanted to “call you on” through the interlocking, he could cause the marker light to light up, giving you a “stop and proceed”.

Confused yet?

EdKing