Pullman cars on Southern trains

Fri Jul 12 15:24:24 EDT 2013

-

Would any of you have any information on the Pullman sleeping cars used on the Southern passenger trains the Birmingham Special, the Pelican and the Tennessean? Also is there any corresponding models for these cars?
Lois J.Ponton
N&W steam historian
When inaugurated on May 18, 1941, The Tennessean was predominately a streamlined coach train
Washington-Bristol. It did carry a heavyweight 10 section, 3 double bedroom sleeper Washington-
Memphis. Beyond the N&W, it picked up a Bristol-Nashville sleeper (NC&StL beyond Chattanooga)
and a Chattanooga-Memphis 12 section, 1 Drawing room sleeper.

>From Passenger Train Consists of the 1940s, here's how No. 45 stood leaving Knocksville, TN

on March 21, 1945:

SOU 1701 Grand Junction Baggage-Mail
SOU 1750 Decatur Mail storage
SOU 705 Bedford Baggage-Dormitory-Coach
N&W 1705 Coach
N&W 1704 Coach
SOU 905 Morristown Coach
SOU 3304 Alexandria Dining car
SOU 806 Huntsville Coach
Sou 813 Lynchburg Coach
SOU 1150 Washington Tavern-Lounge
Villa Nova 10 Sections, 3 Double Bedrooms (Wash-Memphis)
Brentwood 12 Sections, 1 Drawing Room (Bristol-Nashville via NC&StL)
McRae 12 Sections, 1 Drawing Room (Deadhead?)

Lightweight sleepers came to The Tennessean in 1949. The one that comes to mind
was built in 1949 to Plan 4153C --- SOU 2210 - Wauhatchie Valley. It was on the
last No. 46 leaving Memphis and I suspect it was scrapped in Roanoke. Harry Bundy