Disparaged Y class engines!

Wed Jun 26 18:18:14 EDT 2013

If track was not designed the way it is, the simple weight of any train
would crush it all. Doesnt happen. Counterbalancing is done for a reason
or every steamer would be jumping off the track. The track is
deliberately built to take the punishment. A lot of discussions wobble
on the 2-10-4 in Pittsburgh about its weight and counterbalancing
effects, the bottom line the B&LE was built for this engine to run on,
or they would never ordered the engine. Railroads know about the Steam
loco characteristics during the steam days and built for it. All the
crying I keep hearing is about todays diesel characteristics vs steam,
railroads may have adjusted their trackwork to not need to keep to steam
standards so may not survive the regular daily rod pounding. The issue
may be more about how often you need to do track maintenance and you
know business, cut costs/improve profits. But a lot of todays
engines/cars are bigger heavier and track has to survive all of that. I
would be more worried about worn bearings causing the rod to clank, that
would be more stressful for the engine and track. But they were big and
rugged.

I remember standing beside the track when the doubleheader 1218 and nkp
587 ran past me in Indiana and 587 was stomping the rails with its rod
shock, you could feel it on the ground as it passed, but didnt hurt the
track, 1218 didnt have this stomp.

-Lynn-