Disparaged Y class engines!

Wed Jun 26 14:50:31 EDT 2013

Mark,

Where did this thread occur?   I'd like to track it down.

Some quick comments:

Some Challengers had different parts (valve gear mostly) on the front and rear engines, e.g., DRGW Baldwin L-105's and possibly the WM 1200s.  I believe that most of the ALCO Challengers used the same valve gear parts front and rear.

The 57" driver observation was only true early on.  The final versions of the Y5s-Y6s had 58" drivers.

There are many tales of Y5/6's being run at 60 plus, but whether it was a good idea is open to question.  I believe N&W officially limited the Y6's to 50 mph.

The C&O H8's may have less-than-optimally applied on the grades out of Hinton, but this was only a small part of their operating territory.  I checked this out, just because I was curious, and found that about 75%-80% of their operating territory was flatter and would allow them to operate at higher speeds.  Counteracting that, I don't recall that C&O ever increased train size above 160 cars, the same size as the T1 2-10-4's were assigned.  So, what was the advantage of the greater capacity and weight of the H8s?

Overall, some of the responses have a grain of truth in them, but the discussion itself is not well thought out.  That's why I'd like to see what the original thread looked like and who was involved.

Dave Stephenson