Switch List branch operations questions?

Thu Jun 20 21:46:00 EDT 2013

Thank You Jimmy.

One of the reasons for my inquiry and my research is that I have an O Scale model N&W 4-8-0 and plan to build a generic rural small town shelf layout to switch with it and I am interested in the customer base, cars and structures that would be appropriate. (1930s to 1950s)

I've seen many pictures of the Abingdon branch and have always wondered who the customers were. I know very little about the blacksburg branch other than it was originally built to mine the anthracite coal from mines at Merrimac.

I am tempted to build a generic feedmill and a station with a team track but would rather know more about the customer base and build something feasibly N&W.

Thanks again for your input.

This email group has always been a wealth of information and I appreciate it very much.

Tom Lewis