N&W Concrete Water Tanks

Mon Jun 3 08:57:32 EDT 2013

Hello All,

I am working on a project on the historical evolution of water purification
techniques by chemists and railroad personnel in the early to mid
20thcentury. In addition I am also looking at the architectural
changes in
railroad water tank design and construction in wood and steel (and
hopefully concrete). Does anyone know if any of the N&W concrete tanks are
still standing and could be studied and photographed? In the past I have
studied photos of some of these unique structures in the N&W archives. Any
information about concrete structures that are still trackside would be
greatly appreciated.

Contact me either through this list-serve or off list if you like.

Gerard

Gerard J. Fitzgerald

Department of History and Art History
George Mason University