Archives mangle press

Mon May 13 15:54:55 EDT 2013

The NWHS archives had two mangle presses for flattening rolled drawings
(for more info on the mangle press see the Alex Schust article "Harry, The
Mange and Me" in the April/Man/June 2013 etaf at http://www.nwhs.org/eTAF/).
One mangle was used at the Salem Ave archives, and the other at Norfolk
Southern General Office Building East (GOBE). The heating iron on the GOBE
unit has failed and cannot be easily repaired. The archives is looking for
a replacement mange press simpler to attached photos. Our working unit is a
Maytag. The unit that failed is a Montgomery Ward. Mangle presses can
sometimes be found at antique stores, thrift shops, etc (the Montgomery
Ward unit was found a few years back a antique store in Bluefield WV).

If you have leads on a hopefully working mangle press that we can relocate
to Roanoke, please email archives at nwhs.org.

- Roger Link