J balancing considerations

Wed Apr 10 22:06:02 EDT 2013

As part of an ongoing discussion, and at the suggestion of Dave Stephenson:

What is the rotating component of mass for the J main rods? (I
presume this was done via center-of-percussion measurement, but while
it would be nice to know exactly how it was calculated, I suspect
just the figure would be appropriate for immediate purposes). (I am
presuming this includes the bearing and race mass as installed - tell
me if that is wrong, and provide what the effective bearing mass,
fully lubricated, would have been...)

Likewise, what was the effective rotating component of mass for the
eccentric rod in the Baker gear? (This might be extremely small, but
I suspect N&W measured it and used good math to make balance calcs
from the measurements).

Finally: Were precise calculations of the mass distribution of the
eccentric crank made, both in effective radius and in the horizontal
plane? (These would probably be present in the calculations as a
mass expressed as a 'virtual' radius and acting at a specific lateral
displacement from locomotive centerline)?

Thesubject under discussion is the degree of running imbalance that
would be caused by taking down the valve gear and main rod on a J, to
move the engine 'only on one side'. We have a Trains Magazine report
of an incident in the mid-Fifties, between Roanoke and Bristol, where
the Bristol shop forces took down one side's valve gear and main rod,
and remarked on how smoothly the result seemed to run -- the
possibly-apocryphal follow-on being that crews ran the locomotive 'on
one side' up to some speed approximating 80 mph with a train. It is
specifically the high-speed 'augment' and imbalance that would
characterize that operation that I am trying to develop a model to determine.

It was my opinion, before hearing about this, that if bobweights were
not available it would have been sensible practice to replace at
least the eccentric crank on the end of the main pin after the main
rod would have been taken down. "Apparently" the Bristol shop people
did not think this was necessary, which seems a little peculiar as it
wouldn't have required much time or effort to reinstall and clamp the
eccentric crank once the main and bearing parts had been removed.

There is no particular time pressure to find or transmit this
information, and of course it isn't a particularly critical
request. Thanks in advance for any numbers you can find.

Robert M Ellsworth