Thu Mar 28 09:01:13 EDT 2013

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with eight of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. Attending for the first time was our
good friend Gordon Hamilton. Gordon started his rail career with the
Norfolk and Western in the mid 1950s in Durham, NC. working summers. After
finishing VPI, and a stint in the US Army, he returned to work at Shaffers
Crossing. Gordon retired from Norfolk Southern as Equipment Maintenance
Engineer. Last night he shared many stories with the Brethren about his
work on the railroad. While telling his stories, I was able to ask him
about a question I got from a friend last weekend. The question was about
how the N&W got to the Potts Valley Line across the old VGN at Norcorss.
The N&W line crossed the New River Bridge and the VGN at diamond near
Norcross and paralleled the VGN to the Potts Valley Line. The questioner
was not aware of the old diamond crossing and thought N&W used about .9
mile of VGN tracks to get to the Potts Valley Line. Thanks Gordon for
answering this question. The Potts Valley Line that one time ran from
Norcross all the way to Paint Bank in Craig County, VA now has only a few
customers, and most of the tracks are gone with a scenic by-way taking
their place. Incidentally this line just west of Paint Bank, is now where
herds of buffalo are being raised.

Landon Gregory, Wis Sowder and Raymond East told the others about the very
nice volunteer appreciation dinner they attended at the Virginia Museum of
Transportation last Thursday night. Incidentally, these three were treated
"like royalty" at the dinner.

The Jewel from the Past is from November 23, 2006: "From last week: 'The
Virginian Railway Company Rules Governing Hiring and Examinations of
Employees and Maintenance of Service Records' January 1, 1955, says to be a
Watchman in the Station, Telegraph and Telephone Service you must be at
least 25 years old and not more than 45 years old. Each job description
listed a minimum and maximum age limit. Example: Road or Yard Engineers
must be at least 21 and not more than 35 years old". No mention of
females.....

I told the Brethren about the High Iron Travel Southeastern Explorers
Excursion train coming to town. This prestigious train advertised mileage
on this trip on the old Nickel Plate, Wabash, N&W and VGN. The train leaves
Chicago on April 5, Bellevue, OH April 6, Portsmouth, OH April 8, and
Roanoke on April 9. It will travel on April 9 down the old Virginian to
Abilene and on to Norfolk on the NS. Tickets are $4800 for roomette and
$4500 for dual occupancy bedroom. There are no dome cars on it because of
clearance problems, but several outstanding pullman cars and a diner are
included. The power will be Amtrak diesel. We are hoping that the train
will lay over at South Yard for photos.....

For Show and Tell I took a photo of the Virginain Station in Roanoke with a
proposed sign in place (by computer enhancement) that the Station Committee
commissioned. I got feedback from the Brethren about this and will pass it
on. The City of Roanoke has a very strict limitation on new signs so this
is quite an issue for planning of Phase II for the Station. More on this
later.

Then there's this from our good friend Bob Cohen: While walking along the
sidewalk in front of his church, our minister heard the intoning of a
prayer that nearly made his collar wilt. Apparently, his 5-year-old son and
his playmates had found a dead robin. Feeling that proper burial should be
performed, they had secured a small box and cotton batting, then dug a hole
and made ready for the disposal of the deceased. The minister's son was
chosen to say the appropriate prayers and with sonorous (full sounding)
dignity, intoned his version of what he thought his father always said:
"Glory be unto the Father, and unto the Son, and into the hole he goes."

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon

CDLXIV