630 Excursions

Mon Mar 25 16:25:26 EDT 2013

Bernie:

Without doing a detailed analysis, the 630 is a relatively small
locomotive, and while it could start and pull the 10-12 car excursion trains on
level ground at relatively slow speeds (say 15-20 mph), it does not have the
tractive effort and horsepower to maintain track speed of 40-45 mph (I believe
excursions are still limited by NS to 40 mph, someone please
confirm/correct? And I overheard someone say 630 has a limit of 45 itself, which sounds
right for a freight 2-8-0.) especially where grades are involved. The
diesel ensured that a decent speed could always be maintained. We went up Blue
Ridge at a steady 40 mph with 12 cars. The 630 by itself could not have.
Yes, 611 could, easily. Let's pray we witness that again!

And, yes, "get home" in case of breakdowns is always important. It's
interesting to note that the "two" diesels were actually a GP-40-slug combo.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 3/25/2013 10:11:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,