N&W Records at Berea College

Sun Mar 17 12:14:51 EDT 2013

Bruce,

Interesting that you would mention this because I graduated from Berea College in 1954 (and Va. Tech in 1956), but I know nothing of this N&W collection. I wish I had known about it when I was at Berea.

Incidentally, the Hutchins library is named for two Berea College presidents, the father, William J., and his son, Francis S. (Another son, Robert M., was chancellor of the University of Chicago).

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2013 11:48 PM
Subject: N&W Records at Berea College

While I was cruising through Google books looking for annual reports, I ran across a reference to "Norfolk and Western Railroad Records" from 1881. The note said "These are Company published historical, legal, and administrative documents relating to the history and operation of the Norfolk & Western railroad. Administrative records included financial reports, contracts, and deeds." There was a link to "Find in a Library" and clicking that took me to a listing for the Hutchins Library at Berea College in Kentucky. According to the entry, the collection is 4.0 linear ft. (10 mss boxes) and is tagged "Norfolk and Western Railroad Records 1881-1979." I'm just curious if anyone knows about this collection and its contents and whether it might have records not contained in the historical society archives.

Bruce in Blacksburg