M line drawings?

Mon Jan 28 08:39:17 EST 2013

On 1/27/2013 12:30 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> I don't know why one of the model manufacturers doesn't do a rugged

> 4-8-0 mechanism

That one's simple. Nobody other than N&W modelers would be interested,
and since the M classes were not glamorous, nobody except serious N&W
fans even knew they existed. Hell, I've been to Strasburg and I had no
idea they existed until many years later, when I started learning more
about N&W steam. Since the 4-8-0 wheel arrangement is one of the rarest
in North America, the mechanism wouldn't be much use to anyone else.

Now, the Ms and several of Southern's Consolidations shared the ~57"
wheel diameter, there might be more demand for a decent x-8-x
mechanism. The exact wheel spacing probably wouldn't be right for one
or the other, but it would still be better for all than what's available
right now.

--
Kenneth Rickman
Salisbury, NC