Arrow Train Master article

Sat Jan 19 00:11:14 EST 2013

Maybe Frank could comment on a couple of things in his Train Master
article.

On page 23 it states:
/ "Much routine maintenance required removal of the upper cylinder
head and crankshaft"./

The FM engine doesn't have a head.

/"There are also reports of incomplete fuel combustion (causing blue
smoke) in the lower combustion chamber."

/There is only one combustion chamber, rather than an upper and lower as
the sentence would suggest.

Just for information, it is very common for diesels to put out a
lot of smoke when not up to operating temperatures. Back when we had
GP9's, sometimes a consist would be setting around for hours idling
waiting for an assignment and a lot of carbon and unburned fuel would
collect on top of the dished piston head. We would get them off of the
outgoing track and baby them down to the train. After pulling the train
past Randolph St. Tower the engineers would open them up and look back
to see a pretty good smoke screen being laid down. Usually by the time
we got to North Roanoke the smoke had cleared up.
Try and start up a cold four axle GE unit in the middle of
Waynesboro, Va. and see if people don't call the law on you! Yikes!
With emissions what they are today, it is sometimes hard to see
smoke from the diesels. Good for the air, but now it can be very hard to
look back and tell which unit just shut down you.
One other thing in looking at the way FM designed their engine is
that I wonder why they put the cool intake air coming in at the top and
exhaust going out the bottom. Seems to me they would have breathed a
little easier with the cool intake air forcing the hot exhaust out the
top. Maybe they didn't realize that hot air rises.

Jimmy Lisle
/
/