Getting History right! An Editorial

Wed Jan 2 20:16:17 EST 2013

There is no reason that an errata sheet (or more than one if necessary) cannot appear here on the list! Barney BarnierWinston Salem, NC

Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 18:55:32 -0500
Subject: Re: Getting History right! An Editorial
X-UNTD-UBE:-1

IMHO

a] Jimmy is right that the society has a responsibility to correct errors in subsequent printings of Society publications
b] Frank is right that we have to watch expenditures at the project level.
c] and Alex got here first with what I was going to propose ... THE ERRATA SHEET

I can tell you that I have purchased NEW books from PRRH&TS that had errata sheets with initial distribution of a book, so there is plenty of precedent for this solution. It is cost effective but meets the intent of "fixing errors and omissions".

d] If the society does not choose to do an errata sheet, then I am much more in Jimmy's camp.

Jim Stapleton
<![endif]--><![endif]-->While I am not the one who replied to your question I might offer a little insight.

First, we don&rsquo;t have the original proofs to correct. The reprint is being done by scanning the original. The goal is to get the book back into print for those members who ask about it

Second, If there are errors that you think need to be corrected please provide them and it may be possible to include an errata sheet with the reprint after we review your suggested correction with the author.

Third, it is not about changing a few letters once a book is printed and with hardbacks the fixed cost before you print the first book are 2 to 3 thousand dollars. The fixed cost of scanning a book for reprinting runs into the hundreds of dollars. The question becomes do you nothing or do you attempt to offer your members something at a low cost.

Fourth, the NWHS doesn&rsquo;t stuff very much money into its pockets. What it does is concentrate on keeping costs low and not raising membership dues. Generally we have about a 2% profit each year (about $4,000) that goes to keeping the archives functioning.

You may send your suggested corrections to aschust2 at comcast.net and I will let you know the outcome of your suggestions.

Alex Schust